From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wappen von Saarbrücken/Arms (crest) of Saarbrücken

Country : Germany

State : Saarland

District (Kreis) : Regionalverband Saarbrücken

Additions: (to see click on expand)

Loading map...
Official blazon
German Innerhalb eines von Schwarz und Silber gestückten Schildbordes unter gespaltenem silbernen Schildhaupt - darin rechts eine rote Rose mit goldenem Samen und grünen Kelchblättern, links schräggekreuzt ein schwarzer Schlägel und ein schwarzer Hammer, unter den Stielenden eine gestürzte schwarze Zange - in Blau ein goldgekrönter, goldbewehrter und rotgezungter silberner Löwe, bewinkelt von vier silbernen Tatzenkreuzen.
English blazon wanted


The current arms were granted on September 21, 1976.

The oldest known seal of the cities of Saarbrücken and Sankt Johann was granted by Count Johan III of Nassau-Saarbrücken on March 6, 1462. This seal showed a shield with in the upper half the arms of the Counts of Saarbrücken-Commercy (a silver lion with four silver crosses) and ion the lower half a rose for Sankt Johann.

The seal was in use until the end of the 18th century (1793), restored in 1817 and used until 1856.

In 1856 the two cities separated and Saarbrücken used a shield with only the lion in a field with small crosses, the the arms of the Counts of Saarbrücken-Commercy.

On November 20, 1876, the city received two new arms from Emperor Wilhelm I. The arms were the arms as used from 1859, but now with a bordure in the colours of Prussia (black and silver) as small arms, and as large arms the same arms (without the bordure) placed in a shield with the Prussian eagle. These arms were used until 1909. The number of crosses was now reduced to four, as in the old seal.

On April 1, 1909 new arms were granted after the merger of the three cities (Saarbrücken, Sankt Johann and Malstatt-Burbach) to new Saarbrücken. These arms show in the upper half the rose of Sankt Johann and the miner's tools from Malstatt-Burbach. The lion of Saarbrücken-Comemrcy is shown in the base. The whole surrounded by the Prussian bordure. Similarly as to the previous arms, the whole could also be placed on a shield with the Prussian eagle as large arms (but without the bordure). Both shields could be displayed with a mural crown.

After the First World War the arms were often shown without the Prussian bordure and/or eagle, see below, but the arms were officially valid until 1976.

After the municipal reforms in 1974 the city needed either to design new arms, or have the old arms officially regranted. The council chose for the latter and applied again for the small and large arms, including the mural crown. After some discussion, only the small arms were officially granted, without the mural crown. These arms have been in use since.

Image gallery

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site