|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldik av verden
|Norwegian heraldry portal|
The arms were granted on November 7, 1924.
The arms show a ship as a symbol for the importance of fisheries and sailing to the local economy. A ship already appears on the oldest known seal of the town, dating from the 17th century.
In the late 19th and early 20th century the arms showed the ship in the upper part and a landscape with the National Arms in the base of the shield (see below)
The arms in the late 19th century
The arms by Ströhl in 1905.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1930
The arms in the city (image by Jan-Erik Løken)
The arms at the municipal border (image by Jan-Erik Løken)