Cham (Zug)

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 13:28, 4 August 2023 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "'''Literature''':" to "'''Literature''' :")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

CHAM

Canton : Zug

Wappen von Cham (Zug)/Arms (crest) of Cham (Zug)

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The origin of the bear in the arms of Cham is not clear. The most logical option is that the bear is taken from the arms of the Lords of Sellenbüren, who had quite some possessions in the area in the 12th and 13th century.
Another explanation is a local legend, in which a person from (now) the Netherlands passed through the area and was attacked by a bear. He survived the attack and ever since the bear is the symbol of the village.

A third explanation tells that the arms are based on the arms of a governor/sheriff of King Charles the Great, as in the area there was a Royal farm/estate. However, the use of arms only started 300 years after the death of Charles the Great.

In any case, the oldest use of a bear dates from a seal from 1384 on a land deed charter.

Wappen von/Blason de Cham (Zug)

Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Wappen von/Blason de Cham (Zug)



Swiss heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Switzerland.jpg
Swiss heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Swiss civic heraldry:



  • Total pages in the Swiss section : 13,280
  • of which images : 6,864

Other heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature : Iten and Zumbach, 1974; Faessler, 2017