ZUG (City and Canton)
The arms of the City and Canton of Zug are identical. The only difference is the use of the crown by the city.
The oldest known seals of the city of Zug date from the last quarter of the 13th century and all show the patron saint of the city, St. Michael.
The oldest seal in which the arms with the bar are used for the first time dates from around 1319. All later seals and arms always show the single bar.
The arms are most likely derived from the arms of Austria, as the city at the time was an Austrian possession. When the colours were changed is not known, it may be that the colours were never the Austrian colours (red-silver-red), but the silver and blue from the beginning.
The colours are known as such since the 15th century, but the second seal already hangs on a blue and silver ribbon on a document from 1370. On different occasions the arms of Zug are shown with supporters, most often lions or St. Michael, but also knights, savages or angels. As there was no consistency in the type of supporters, it is not likely that these were officially used, they do not appear in any of the seals either.
Only in the seal of the Canton from 1947 the arms are shown with two lions and St. Michael as supporters.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
The arms in an album +/- 1905
Swiss heraldry portal
This page is part of the Swiss heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Swiss civic heraldry:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997; Iten and Zumbach, Wappenbuch des Kantons Zug, 1974.