Jihlava

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldika světa
Czechnat.png
Czech heraldry portal
Česká heraldika
Czech-flag.gif

JIHLAVA

Province: Vysočina Kraj
District (Okres) : Jihlava

Arms (crest) of Jihlava

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms are a combination of the lion of Bohemia and a canting hedgehog; the old German name for the town is Iglau (Igel=hedgehog).

In the beginning of the 13th century Jihlava was promoted to the status of a mining town (by King Wenceslas II) and since 1249 it had been enjoying special town and mining rights. Most probably it it was at that time that the arms were designed. But the arms are only known as such since the 16th century.

Seal (pečeť) of Jihlava

The oldest seal from Jihlava
(from Dřímal and Štarha, 1979)
Arms (crest) of Jihlava

The arms in 1406 (from Dřímal and Štarha, 1979)
Arms (crest) of Jihlava

The arms in 1900 (from Dřímal and Štarha, 1979)
Seal of Jihlava

Seal from around 1900.
Seal of Jihlava

Seal from around 1900.
Arms (crest) of Jihlava

The arms in the Abadie albums
Arms (crest) of Jihlava

The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1935
Arms (crest) of Jihlava
The arms by Jan Čaka (1977)


Literature : Augustin, J. : Ceská Republika - V symbolech, znacích a erbech. Arbor, Sokolov, 1997


Czechnat.png