Jihlava

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Coat of arms (crest) of Jihlava
JIHLAVA

Country: Czechia
Czechnat.png



Province: Vysočina Kraj
Vysocina.png



District (Okres):
Jihlava


Loading map...
Official blazon
Czech * (1900) Ein von Rot und Silber geviertelter Schild. In dem obren rechten, gleich ­wie in dem unteren linken Felde ein silberner, golden gekrönter und bewehrter wie auch bezungter, doppelt geschwänzter Löwe. In dem oberen linken, dann in dem unteren rechten Felde ein rother Igel.
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on September 4, 1900.

The arms are a combination of the lion of Bohemia and a canting hedgehog; the old German name for the town is Iglau (Igel=hedgehog).

In the beginning of the 13th century Jihlava was promoted to the status of a mining town (by King Wenceslas II) and since 1249 it had been enjoying special town and mining rights. Most probably it it was at that time that the arms were designed. But the arms are only known as such since the 16th century.

Image gallery

Literature: Augustin, J. : Ceská Republika - V symbolech, znacích a erbech. Arbor, Sokolov, 1997


Czech heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Czechnat.png
Czech heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Czech heraldry:


  • Total pages in the Czech section : 13,813
  • Total images in the Czech section : 7,931

Other Czech heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site