|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
In blauem Schild über silbern geflutetem Schildfuß eine silbern gemauerte gewölbte Bogenbrücke mit vier Pfeilern, auf dieser stehend ein goldener Löwe mit aufgerichteter doppelter Rute, aufgesetzter goldener Königskrone und rot ausgeschlagener Zunge, zwischen beiden Pranken einen aufwärts gestellten silbernen Anker haltend, durch dessen Ring ein goldener Zopf gezogen ist.
Kapfenberg was granted arms by Emperor Ferdinand III on December 15, 1639 and again on December 1, 2015.
The borough was well-off because it was in the mining region, with plenty of ironworks nearby. Traffic was also important (bridge). The anchor was taken from the arms of the Counts of Stubenberg to whom the castle of Oberkapfenberg belonged for more than 700 years. The arms were also granted on request of the family. Originally, the anchor was a so-called Wolfssense (wulf's scythe) or Wurfbarte, a weapon.
The ion probably is the lion of the Habsburg family (to which the Emperor belonged)
The arms were granted with a rope through the anchor, but in the 19th century this was clearly shown as a snake.
The arms by Widimsky, 1864
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms in the Abadie albums
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:
Literature : Kobel and Pirchegger, 1954