|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
The arms were granted on April 29, 1948.
Mariazell is the most famous place of pilgrimages in all of Austria and the neighbouring countries. It was the national shrine of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and to this day attracts pilgrims from many countries. Since the basilica of Mariazell is dedicated to Our Lady, it is fitting that She herself appear in the coat of arms, her Son on her arms, dressed and crowned regally, surrounded by the golden mandorla.
The portal dates from the gothic age and can be seen at the basilica.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Literature : Image provided by Karl Palfrader (firstname.lastname@example.org), MStLA 12 (1962), p. 35