Botany Bay

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Australia.jpg
Australian heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Australia
Australia-flag.gif

BOTANY BAY

State : New South Wales

Arms (crest) of Botany Bay
Official blazon
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted in 1988.

The anchor and wavy lines refer to Botany Bay, so named by Captain James Cook, after the expedition's botanist, Sir Joseph Banks, discovered so many new botanical species there in 1770. One was named 'banksia' in his honour, and the fleur de lis in the arms come from Banks' family arms.

The estoile is derived from the arms granted posthumously to Captain Cook.
The kangaroo represents Australia, while the Bengal tiger is a reminder that Australia's first zoo was located at Botany.
The astral coronet alludes to Sydney's international airport, within the city at Mascot.

The mural crown, a conventional symbol of local government, is a reminder of the key role Botany played in the development of Australia as a nation.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the siteLiterature: Information provided by Denis Towner (dtowner@midcoast.com.au)