Diocese of Covington

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

DIOCESE OF COVINGTON (Dioecesis Covingtonensis)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1853

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Covington
Official blazon
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were commissioned by William T. Mulloy, 6th bishop of Covington (1944-1959), following the 1953 elevation of Covington´s cathedral to the status of a minor basilica.

The golden fleur-de-lis and silver crescent are symbols of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Their juxtaposition in this fashion indicates her Assumption: the Blessed Virgin elevated over the sub-lunary world. It is under this aspect, that Mary is patroness of the Cathedral of the Assumption.

The sword on the red cross on a field argent is the symbol of Saint-Paul, Patron of the Diocese of Covington.

The arms replaced the previous arms used since 1915.

These arms showed a cross, charged with a rose that is symbol of Our Lady, Patron of the diocesan cathedral. In chief two hands clasping.

Arms of Bishops

Arms of Auxiliary Bishops

Literature:


Religious or Ecclesiastical heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Catholic heraldry


Other Christian churches


Other religions


  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 18,920
  • Total images in the Ecclesiastical section : 17,908

US heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Newyork.jpg

US heraldry:




  • Total pages in the US section : 20,611
Brooklyn-snyder.jpg

Ecclesiastical Heraldry of the USA:

Department of Defense.png

Military Heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site explanations at the diocesan website