Decemberbanner.jpg

Diocese of Durham

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

DIOCESE OF DURHAM

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican (until 1561 Roman Catholic)

Established : 635 as Diocese of Lindisfarne
Renamed 882 to Diocese of Lindisfarne in Chester-le-Street
Renamed 995 to Diocese of Durham
Suppressed 1552
Re-established 1554
Suppressed 1559 and continued in 1561 as an Anglican diocese

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Durham

Official blazon

Azure, a cross Or between four lions rampant argent.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms in 1530, but were already used by the Catholic Bishops.

The arms appears first in the Seal of Robert Nevill, bishop from 1438-1457. The lions might come from the arms of Thomas Hatfield, bishop from 1345-1381.

Arms with the field red and the cross and lions silver is also said to be the arms of St. Denys bishop and martyr. The Bishop of Durham alone among English Bishops has the right to have a coronet about the rim of the mitre. This in remembrance of the Palatine authority exercised by the Bishops until 1835.

Arms of Roman Catholic Bishops

Arms of Anglican Bishops

Literature:


Religious or Ecclesiastical heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Catholic heraldry


Other Christian churches


Other religions


  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 18,276
  • Total images in the Ecclesiastical section : 17,071

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric.