The arms shown above were granted in 1954 and show the church and tools from the old arms, see below as well as a lion for Horst and a linden tree for Buer.
The arms are slightly different from the previous arms, granted in 1932:
The oldest arms of Gelsenkirchen date from 1877, after the town had become a city in 1875.
The arms were rather complicated; the arms showed a church, with in the gate the miner's tools, and on each side of the tower a small shield, one with the Prussian eagle, and one with the arms of the Counts of the Mark (in gold a bar, chequered of red and silver). The town developed rapidly the last century due to the mining. The church is canting (Kirche=church), the two shields represent the oldest rulers (Mark) and the rulers in 1875 (Prussia).
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms in the Abadie albums
Municipal stationery, 1960s
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971