Halstead

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,641
  • Total images in the British section : 9,392

HALSTEAD

Incorporated into: 1974 Braintree

Arms (crest) of Halstead

Official blazon

Arms: Per chevron Vert and Azure in chief two Weaver's Shuttles erect proper and in base a Thunderbolt Or.
Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Saltire Azure on a Mount Vert a Garb proper.
Motto: 'CONSILIO ET PRUDENTIA' - By wisdom and foresight

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on November 20, 1964.

The weaver's shuttles represent the town's long association with Courtauld's Limited, and weaving in general, an industry that has existed in the town since the arrival of Flemish weavers in the fourteenth century. The towns association with the Courtaulds began in 1782 when George Courtauld, a descendant of the Huguenot refugee families, set up in business as a silk throwster. The thunderbolt alludes to the Evans Electroselenium company, whose managing director gave generously towards the cost of the grant.

The cross of St. Andrew refers to the dedication of the parish church, and the wheatsheaf represents agriculture.

The arms are presently used by the town council.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Image and information from here