Country : Germany
State : Niedersachsen
District (Kreis) : Region Hannover (until 2001 Kreisfreie Stadt)
The arms were officially granted on ?
Hannover became a city around 1170 and was in the 14th century an important member of the Hanseatic League. From 1636 it was the capital of the Dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who later became Kings of Hannover and at the same time Kings of England.
The lion is the lion of Brunswick and taken from the Welfen family. It appears on the oldest known seals, dating from the early 13th century. The oldest real arms of the city showed only the trefoil. It is known from coins from 1430. It does not appear on the seals of the city until 1534. In 1565 the arms (still only the trefoil) had two golden lions as supporters and a helmet with crest on top.
In the 19th century the city used large arms, with mantling, helmet and crest, see below.
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in an album +/- 1905
The arms in an album, 1950s
The arms in an album from 1930s
The arms on a matchbox label
The arms in an album from 1968
The arms on a philatelic card (with Perpignan)
Literature: Stadler,1964-1971, 8 volume; Ahrens, 1891
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site