Isle of Anglesey

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351

ISLE OF ANGLESEY (County Council, Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn)

Additions: 1974 Aethwy RDC, Amlwch UDC, Beaumaris Borough, Holyhead UDC, Llangefni UDC, Menai Bridge UDC, Twrcelyn RDC, Valley RDC


Official blazon:

Arms: Gules a Chevron between three Lions rampant Or a Bordure barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent.
Crest: Out of an Antique Crown Or a demi-Dragon Gules supporting a garb Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
Supporters: On the dexter side a Bull Argent gorged with a Wreath of Seaweed proper and on the sinister side an Heraldic Tiger Sable gorged with a Wreath of Oak also proper fructed Or.


The arms were granted on April 9, 1954 to the Anglesey County Council. In 1975 it was transferred to the Ynys Môn (Anglesey) Borough and in 1996 to the Isle of Anglesey County Council.
The shield shows the attributive arms of Hwfa ap Cynddelw, founder of the I Noble Tribe. These arms are surrounded by waves to indicate the island of Anglesey.

The mantling is taken from the arms of the Princes of Gwynedd, who lived in Anglesey until 1277. The Welsh Dragon supports a wheatsheaf in reference to the rich soil on the island.

The white bull is derived from the arms of the Bulkeley family of Beaumaris and symbolises the agriculture on the island. The tiger is taken from the arms of the Marquess of Anglesey. The bull wears a collar from seaweed as a symbol for seafaring, the tiger has a collar of oak leaves. The latter refer to the former position of the island as a stronghold of the Druids, for which the oak is a sacred tree.

The motto means Anglesey, Mother of Wales.

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Information provided by the Isle of Anglesey Council.