- (1819) Van lazuur beladen met een kameel van goud.
- (1840) Een blaeuw veld, met eenen gulden kameel.
The arms were granted on October 13, 1818 and confirmed on January 30, 1840.
The arms are canting, showing a camel (Kameel in Dutch). The camel already appears on the local seal dating from 1694. The colours are the Dutch national colours. When in the early 19th century the council applied for the arms, no colours were specified. All non-coloured arms were granted in the national colours. After the independence of Belgium in 1830, the arms were confirmed, but the colours were not changed.
A local legend tells that the camel was chosen by Diederik van den Elzas, Count of Vlaanderen in the 12th century. He owned the village and decided in 1117 upon a camel in the arms as a reminder to his participation in the crusades. Unfortunately the use of arms for villages did not develop until the 16th or 17th century.
The arms from 18189
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site