Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and again on March 10, 1987.
The old arms show St. Servatius, the local patron saint. The village was a possession of the Chapter of St. Servatius in Maastricht until 1211. The patron saint was also shown on the only seal of the village, dating from 1736.
The colours were the Dutch national colours, as in 1813 the mayor applied without indicating the colours. The arms were thus granted in the national colours. After the Belgian independence, the colours were not changed.
The new arms combine the arms of the three former municipalities. The main shield shows the former arms of Weelde, St. Michael. The arms of Weelde were chosen as the main arms, as until the 17th century all three villages were part of the Weelde estate.
The supporters are St. Servatius from the old arms and St. Valentine from the arms of Poppel.
Literature: Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site