The canton Schaffhausen probably already used arms in the early 14th century, but the oldest known image dates from 1396. The arms are derived from the banner of the city, which showed a ram. In 1512 the arms were clearly described for the first time, as being gold with a black ram. The city Schaffhausen used the ram coming from a city gate, and both images have also been used for the whole canton during the centuries.
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
The arms on a 1809 coin
Since 1831 the two arms were clearly separated and the arms of the canton have not changed since.
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Swiss heraldry portal
This page is part of the Swiss heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Swiss civic heraldry:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.