Region : Midtjylland
Amt (until 2007) : Århus (until 1970 Skanderborg, Viborg)
Additions : 1970 Balle, Funder, Gødvad, Kragelund, Lemming, Linå, Sejling-Sinding, Serup, Virklund; 2007 Gjern (1970 Dallerup, Gjern-Skannerup, Skorup-Tvilum-Voel, Svostrup), Kjellerup (1970 Grnbæk, Hinge, Hrup, Levring, Sjrslev, Thorning, Vinderslev, Vium), Them (1970 Vinding-Bryrup-Vrads)
The arms are granted by Royal decree in 1900. The arms show the medieval castle and fortress of the bishops of Århus.
According to legend, the castle was founded on the spot where the silk hat of bishop Peter washed ashore, as it was blown off his head when he was crossing the lake.
The arms as shown in the Kaffe Hag album from the 1930s.
The arms as shown on a cigarette card from 1926
The arms on a road sign
Literature: Achen, 1982; Grandjean, 1937
Denmark heraldry portal
This page is part of the Denmark heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site