Country : Germany
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Free Urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt)
|In Schwarz eine schräg gestellte, eingekerbte, von Rot und Gold gevierte Fahne an silberner Lanzenstange.
Würzburg is an old town, which became the seat of a bishop as early as 741. In the 10th century the bishops became Prince-bishops, who bore the title of Duke of Franconia (Franken). The arms show the banner of the bishops, albeit in wrong colours; it should be red and white on a blue shield. The arms are known as the arms of the city since the 16th century, but are probably older. The seals of the city until 1570 did not show the arms, but only a castle or fortress with St. Kilian, the patron saint of the city. From 1570 the arms were also used in the seals. The colours are also known since the 16th century.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a stamp
The arms in an album from 1968
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site