Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819, again on April 29, 1842 and confirmed on November 21, 1989.
The arms were first mentioned in 1644 and the above arms are identical to those of 1644. The arms show a castle gate with four towers. On the towers are two small shields; one with the three red bars of the Princes of Merode, the other with St. Martin, cutting his cloak for a beggar.
The estate and village of Westerlo became a possession of the Merode family in the 14th century and remained Lords of Westerlo until the 18th century. The church was a possession of the St. Martin chapter of the episcopal church of Utrecht, which also owned some other possessions in the village.
The arms were first granted in 1819. When the mayor applied for the arms, he only send the local seal. He did not provide an explanation or colours. The arms were thus granted in the Dutch national colours blue and gold, and the image of St. Martin was not recognised and just described as a person on a horse.
After the Belgian independence the arms were re-granted and the colours of the Merode shield were corrected. Also St. Martin was properly described.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a postal cancellation from 1992 of Ottersweier
The arms on a postal cancellation from 2018 of Ottersweier
Literature: Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site