- (1819) Van lazuur beladen met St. Michael van goud, hebbende in deszelfs linkerhand een schildje van goud, beladen met 3 gearracheerde leeuwenkoppen van lazuur.
- (1838) Een hemelsblauw veld, met eenen gouden Sint-Michaël, houdende in de linkehand een wapenschild ook van goud belaeden, met dry afgescheurde leeuwenkoppen van hemelsblauw koleur.
The arms were granted by the Dutch government on October 6, 1819 and again by the Belgian government on December 31, 1838.
The arms are based on the old seal of Westmeerbeek, known since 1594. The seal showed the local patron saint, St. Michael, holding a shield with three lion heads. These are most likely the arms of the Van der Zype family, who acquired the Westmeerbeek manor in the early 16th century. Their arms were three golden lion heads in a green field.
The colours of the arms are the Dutch national arms. When the mayor appllied for arms in 1816, he did not indicate any colours. Hence the arms were granted in the national colours. This was not corrected in 1838.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site