- (1818) Van sabel, beladen met een hoorn van goud, geband van keel, en chef mede van keel, waarop drie gehelmde hoofden in natuurlijke kleur.
- (1842) Een zwart veld, met eenen gulden jagthoorn, voorzien van banden en een mondstuk ook van goud, met roode snoeren kruyselings over malkander, de opening ter linker zyde.
The arms were granted on February 26, 1842.
The horn is taken from the arms of the Sint Cornelis Abbey in Ninove, to which a large part of the municipality historically belonged from 1642-1789. The horn is the symbol for St. Cornelius.
The first arms were granted on February 24, 1818.
These arms also showed the horn, but with a chief with three human heads. These were taken from the arms of the De Wapenaert family, who built the local Kasteel De Wapenaert in the village around 1780 on the former Ter Middelerpen estate. See also Nieuwerkerken.
In 1837 the municipal council voted to remove the heads from the arms, but it took until 1842 before the Royal Decree was issued. Why the council voted to remove the heads (the family lived on the castle until the late 19th century) is not known.
The arms from 1818
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site