Kartuzy

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

KARTUZY

Province: Pomorze
County: Kartuzy

Arms of Kartuzy
Official blazon
Polish blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially adopted on January 31, 1923.

The arms were the result of a contest organised after the village of Kartuzy achieved the city-status in 1923.

Kartuzy, was founded in the 14th century as a "Mary's Paradise" - one of the villages of the Carthusian Religious Order (founded in Chartreuse, France by St. Bruno) in medieval Poland. Seven monks came to today's Kartuzy in 1383 and built here their monastery. The name "Kartuzy" symbolizes the Order. The village developed around the monastery. The genuine coat-of-arms of the Carthusian order Monastery of "Mary's Paradise" shows seven stars (symbolizing the first seven monks, who came here) and a king's orb. The seven stars in the arms this symbolise those seven monks, who came to Kartuzy, founded the village and built the monastery, which exists until now as the only one remained in Poland

The blue colour of the shield symbolises the Baltic sea, which is quite near the Kartuzy and a lot of lakes situated near the Kartuzy and in Kashubia region of Poland. The griffin head symbolises the Kashubian people.


Arms of Kartuzy

The arms as shown around 1970
Arms of Kartuzy

The arms as shown in 1963
Arms of Kartuzy

The arms as shown in 1994

Literature:


Poland heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Poland.jpg
Poland heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:



  • Total pages in the Poland section : 8,105
  • of which images : 5,036

Other heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site